The Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India launched ‘Swachh Bharat Swachh Vidyalaya’ (SBSV) initiative in 2014 to ensure that all schools in India have access to separate functional toilets for boys and girls. The initiative also has its emphasis on promoting safe and appropriate hygiene practices in schools and behavior among children.
The Swachh Vidyalaya Puraskar was instituted by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India in 2016 to recognize, inspire and celebrate excellence in sanitation and hygiene practice in schools. The explicit purpose of the awards is to honor schools that have undertaken significant steps towards fulfilling the mandate of the Swachh Vidyalaya Campaign.
The purpose of this initiative is to explore the scope for WASH assessment and explore the areas of improvement where UNICEF through its partner can support the MCGM in improving the WASH status in MCGM schools, orient the staff and students on WASH in Schools.
The objective of this survey is to understand the Water, Sanitation and hygiene (WASH) status of selected schools under the Education Department of Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai and provide recommendations for making the municipal schools WASH compliant. 496 schools were surveyed for its functioning of various facilities such as drinking water, functional toilets for boys, girls and children with special needs (CWSN), hand washing stations near toilets and before Mid-Day-Meals (MDM), operations such as disposal of excreta, solid and liquid disposal techniques and hygiene education amongst students. The survey was conducted using a customized MWater App supported by UNICEF partner WaterAid. The methodology for this assessment is presented in chapter two for in detail analysis. A survey report is prepared to highlight the gaps present in schools to harbor safe environment to learn.
Below are the detail reports for the program:
- Orientation Workshop for Officials of Education Department of Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) on Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) program in MCGM Schools
- Swachh Vidyalaya Puraskar by Education Department of WASH facilities in MCGM schools of Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Orientation Workshop for Nodal Officers of Education Department of Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM), Igatpuri
- Third party assessment of WASH facilities in MCGM schools of Mumbai, Maharashtra Survey Analysis Report
- Self-assessment of WASH facilities in MCGM schools of Mumbai, Maharashtra